Welcome or Register

Our Towns

 

Pinehurst
Population: 
14,783
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Manager/Council
Mayor: 
Nancy Roy Fiorillo
Village Manager: 
Andy Wilkison
Phone:  910.295.1900
Address: 
395 Magnolia Road, 28374
Website:  www.villageofpinehurst.org
Incorporation:  1980

Village of Pinehurst

     Dreaming of developing a health resort for Northerners, Boston philanthropist James Walker Tufts bought 5,000 acres of pine barrens near Aberdeen in 1895.
     Frederick Law Olmsted designed a village for him, and 226,000 trees and shrubs were planted.
     By the early 1900s, the estate covered 10 square miles, with four hotels, 50 cottages, two excellent golf courses and a 35,000-acre shooting preserve.  Trolleys transported guests to and from the Southern Pines train station along Midland Road.
     Scotsman Donald Ross designed more courses, including the famed No. 2.
     Soon the resort was hosting several national amateur golf tournaments.  Today, Pinehurst is legendary throughout the golf world.

 
 

Southern Pines
Population:
 
12,384
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Manager/Council
Mayor: 
David McNeill
Manager:  
Reagan Parsons
Phone:  910.692.7021
Address: 
125 SE Broad St., 28387
Website:  www.southernpines.net
Incorporation:  March 7, 1887

 Downtown Southern Pines

     In the 1850s, Charles Shaw acquired a state land grant in southern Moore County.  It included a high ridge where he began cutting pines.
     In 1876, the Raleigh Augusta Railroad came through.  Most of the tress were gone a few years later when John T. Patrick purchased 675 acres of land for $1,265 to build a health resort.  He named the streets after Northern states.
     Southern Pines proved to be an ideal place for travel-weary train passengers to break their journey down from the north to Florida.  By 1887, Southern Pines was a thriving resort.
     After World War I, novelist and publisher James Boyd initiated the equestrian and literary pursits that remain as a big factor to this day.

 

Seven Lakes
Population:
 
Approximately 6,000
Form of Government: 
Two Landowners' Associations,
Business Guild and Civic Group
Seven Lakes Landowners' Association Community Manager: 
Ray Sohl
Phone:  910.673.4931
Address: 
501 Seven Lakes North, 27376
Website:  www.sevenlakesnc.org
Seven Lakes West Landowners' Association Community Manager:
Jennette Mendence
Phone:  910.673.5314
Address:
5314 Seven Lakes West, 27376
Website:  www.sevenlakeswest.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     The largest unincorporated community in Moore County, Seven Lakes is the result of the vision of developer Fred Lawrence.
     In the early 1970s, his partnership purchased 1,100 acres of rolling hills and pine trees 10 miles northwest of Pinehurst on N.C. 211.  Roads were paved and streams dammed to create the first of seven spring-fed lakes.  The first homes were constructed primarily as weekend and summer retreats for "city folks" from the central part of the state.  Lawrence's vision included provisions of amenities such as boarting, swimming, horseback riding and gathering places to socialize.  It also included a business village to provide goods and services homeowners would need.
     As the "North Side" grew, a companion development was begun on the south side of Seven Lakes Drive.  The "South Side" included a golf course designed by Peter Tufts.
     In 1979, 3,200 acres on the west side of N.C. 211 were purchased, and construction began on an 800-acre spring-fed lake.  A semiprivate golf and tennis club, Beacon Ridge, also is located on the "West Side."

 

Aberdeen
Population:
 
6,390
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Manager/Commissioners
Mayor: 
Betsy Mofield
Town Manager:  
Bill Zell
Phone:  910.944.1115
Address: 
115 N. Poplar Street, 28315
Website:  www.townofaberdeen.net
Incorporation:  1893

 Aberdeen - Train Depot

     Aberdeen, unlike newer neighboring resort towns, was a flourishing community as early as the 1760s.
     Located near the intersection of important regional roads, the town became the access point to two major railroads.  Originally, Aberdeen was named Bethesda, then Blue's Crossing and, finally, Aberdeen for the city in Scotland.
     Lumber, turpentine, industry and commerce were economic mainstays.
     Today, the Aberdeen Historic District includes 88 acres and more than 100 buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  Antiques and collectible shops as well as Union Station are located there.
     Skirting the historic area is a thriving commercial strip that stretches along U.S. 1 into Southern Pines.

 

Cameron
Population:
 
280
Form of Government: 
Mayor and Commissioners
Mayor: 
Michael W. Thomason
Town Clerk:  
Carol Lucas
Phone:  910.245.3212
Address: 
247 Carter Street, 28326
Incorporation:  1876

 

 
     The town of Cameron, which was incorporated in 1876, quickly grew into a shipping point for area farmers because of the railroad.
     The rails linked the famous carriage factory in Carthage to the main railroad tracks in Cameron.
     In the 1920s, Cameron became widely known as the "Dewberry Capital of the World."  The dewberry is described as a milder version of the blackberry with a superior flavor.  Dewberry desserts can still be purchased in restaurants there.
     Today, Cameron is a residential village with 19th century architecture and a dozen antiques and collectible shops on three blocks of the town's main street.
     On the first Saturday in May and the first Saturday in October, the town's population swells to around 10,000 as visitors fill the tree-lined streets to search for bargains at the Antique and Collectibles Fair.
 
 

Carthage
Population:
 
2,213
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Commissioners/Manager
Mayor: 
Lee McGraw
Town Manager:  
Carol Sparks
Phone:  910.947.2331
Address: 
4396 U.S. 15/501, 28327
Website:  www.townofcarthage.org
Incorporation:  1796

 
     Carthage, county seat of Moore, was permanently established in 1803 on land donated by Richardson Fagin. 
     The town's identity changed back and forth from Faginsville to Carthage until the state legislature settled the matter in 1818.
     County government, courts and many businesses now call the pleasant town of Carthage home.
     The imposing building now standing on Courthouse Square was erected in 1922, and is the fifth courthouse built on this site.  The building houses county government offices and the commissioners' meeting room.
     Alexander Kelly and Thomas Tyson founded a carriage factory in Carthage that became a legend in industrial history and was the dominant county industry for 70 years.  It produced buggies that were wold throughout the United States until the firm closed in 1925.  An annual Buggy Festival is held each May to celebrate this heritage.
     Many fine old stately homes still exist in the town, which is poetically known as "Sweet Carthage."
   
 
Foxfire Village
Population:
 
920
Form of Government: 
Mayor and Council
Mayor: 
George Erickson
Village Clerk:  
Lisa Kivett
Phone:  910.295.5107
Address: 
2145 Foxfire Road, Suite 12
1 Town Hall Drive, 27281
Website:  www.foxfirenc.com
Incorporation:  1977
 
 
     Early settlers of the place now called Foxfire Village referred to it as "Piney Bottom."  Native Americans once hunted on the sandy ridge that runs through it.
     During the American Revolution, Piney Bottom was the scene of a 1780 skirmish between Tories and Whigs.
     The early settlers made their living from the pine forest that grew along the ridge by selling turpentine and construction timbers.  Agriculture sprouted in the 20th century, offering plentiful crops of cotton, tobacco, corn, and rye.  Vineyards and peach orchards also were plentiful.
     The community is named for a mysterious luminescence that sometimes appears on decaying plants and wood.
     In 1967, Rowland McKenzie began to develop the area, formerly a 2,200-acre farm, into a resort and residential community centered on golf.
    
 

Pinebluff
Population:
 
1,337
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Commissioners
Mayor: 
Earlene McLamb
Town Clerk:  
Betty McDuffie
Phone:  910.281.3124
Address: 
325 E. Baltimore Avenue, 28373

 

     The town of Pinebluff lies just south of Aberdeen and a few miles north of the Richmond County line.  It is located on the site that earliest references called "Patterson's Bridge."
     John T. Patrick, who was North Carolina's commissioner of immigration, had founded Southern Pines as a resort for Northerners seeking peace, quiet, and a healthful environment.
     Hoping to repeat his success a few miles away, Patrick purchased 772 acres from Luther C. Speare in 1884 and began to develop Pinebluff.
     He named the community's streets for prominent Northern cities, and he published advertisements in the Northern newspapers stressing the community's mild, sunny winter climate, its fresh, pine scented air and the convenient transportation provided by the Raleigh Augusta Railroad.
     By 1915, Pinebluff had five hotels and tea rooms.  The hotesl no longer exist.
     Town residents today enjoy Pinebluff Lake and a quet, residential lifestyle.
 
 
Robbins
Population:
 
1,102
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Manager/Commissioners
Mayor: 
Lonnie English
Town Manager:  
Jeff Sheffield
Phone:  910.948.2431
Address: 
101 N. Middleton Street, 27325
Website:  www.townofrobbins.com
Incorporation:  1935


 
     The community now knowns as Robbins first bore the name Hazel Neck.  Due to its location int he Piedmont or clay soil area of North Carolina, Hazel Neck attracted a number of potters and craftsmen.
     This collection of "mechanics" probably led to the community becoming known as Mechanics HIll.  Over the years, the area bore several names, including Elise and Hemp.
     In 1795, gunsmith J. Alexander Kennedy purchased an esiting gun factory to build the famous Kennedy long rifle.  He also operated a merchant mill and a sawmill.
     A textile mill was established in the area in 1926.  It had several owners until it was purchased by Karl Robbins, a Russian immigrant who was a prominent figure in the textile industry.  The town was eventually renamed to honor Robbins.
     Robbins' annual Farmers Day celebration draws crowds that number in the tens of thousands.
 
 
Taylortown
Population:
 
994
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Council
Mayor: 
Ulysses S. G. Barrett, Jr.
Town Clerk:  
Carolyn Mitchell
Phone:  910.295.4010
Address:  
8350 Main Street, 28374
Incorporation:  1987
 
   
  Taylortown was developed in the eraly 1900s by Demus Taylor, grandson of one of the first African slaves brought to the New World and a descendant of the Western Afican tribe known as Ebu.
     He had purchased land from the Tufts family to build homes for the work force for Pinehurst's hotels and golf courses.  The town, first called Old Settlement, was renamed in his honor.
     Robert Taylor, the son of Demus Taylor, operated a small cafe that served as a gathering spot for the settlement.  He also helped found a school for the settlement's children.  This school would become known as Academy Heights.
     Today Taylortown is a town with a strong sense of community.  The town reflects the legacy of its founders as well as the courage and leadership of all who have come since.
 
 
Vass
Population:
 
725
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Commissioners
Mayor: 
Eddie Callahn
Town Clerk:  
Jody Smith
Phone:  910.245.4676
Address:  
140 S. Alma Street, 28394
Website:  www.townofvassnc.gov
Incorporation:  1987 
 

     The first European settlers of the area that later became known as Vass were primarily Scots, although there was also an early settlement of Germans.
     Changes came to the rural, pastoral community in the late 1800s with the laying of the Seaboard Air Line Railroad.  The railroad made Vass one of the area's heaviest shipping points for lumber, cotton products and farm produce.
     Originally called Bynum, then Winder, the little settlement was finally designated Vass in 1892 in honor of Major William W. Vass, who was a railroad paymaster.
     The town was incorporated in 1907.  Mr. Alex Gunther was the town's first mayor.
     At the turn of the century, Vass was a loading point for the tar produced from the area's pine trees.
     Vass was once the home of three newspapers (The Pilot originated there), and it competed with neighboring Cameron for the title of "Dewberry Capital" in the 1920s.

 

Whispering Pines
Population:
 
2,900
Form of Government: 
Mayor/Manager/Council
Mayor: 
Bob Zschoche
Village Manager:  
Sue Shuster
Phone:  910.949.3141
Address:  
10 Pine Ridge Drive, 28327
Website:  www.whisperingpinesnc.net
Incorporation:  March 14, 1969 

     In 1769, Micholas Smith received a king's land grant for a lake and 50 acres of land.  The mill he built on the lake was used to grind corn for rations during the American Revolution.
     In 1865, William Thagard, for whom the lake is nhamed, built a new mill.
     Early in the 20th century, a rock and concrete dam was built by I.G. Chandler.  A power plant operated there until 1927.
     With the purchase of the lake and 475 adjoining acres in 1959, A.B. Hardee began the development of a golf course and residential community.  It has grown to 3,000 acres, with eight lakes and three semiprivate golf courses.
     Whispering Pines was incorporated in 1969 and includes three golf courses.


Already registered? Login

FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!

*Contact Information NOT Shared*

Quick Search


view all


Any

Any

No Min.

No Max.


LINDA CRISWELL
Broker/REALTOR
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Pinehurst Realty Group
42 Chinquapin Rd.
Pinehurst, NC 28374
910-783-7374
lccriswell@earthlink.net

Contact Me







* fields are required

©2017 BHH Affiliates, LLC. An independently owned and operated franchisee of BHH Affiliates, LLC. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices and the Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices symbol are registered service marks of HomeServices of America, Inc.®  Equal Housing Opportunity.